Saturday, August 11, 2012

Follow-up Post

Let's follow up on some issues previously raised in the seasonticketsbaby weblog.
  1. The theme of the blog -- Is there a new experience at PNC Park?  Will the Pirates remain competitive until the end of the season?  Was the season ticket purchase worth it?  Yes, yes, and yes, so far.  People are excited all over town; the Pirates continue to impress on the field; and my tickets are great -- really nice seats and easy to re-sell when needed.
  2. Roster additions -- Are players like Wandy Rodriguez, Travis Snider, and Starling Marte contributing?  Starling Marte is like a McCutchen clone.  He hits the ball really hard and can fly.  Snider has contributed with the bat as well.  Marte is clearly not a leadoff hitter, and I probably wouldn't call Snider a number 2 hitter, but between the two of them and Neil Walker, they can hold down the 1, 2, and 5 spots in my lineup any day.
  3. Starting Pitching -- Who will be the stopper and who will come back to Earth?  Burnett elevates his play (except for tonight) as McDonald struggles.  McDonald is at least having these half-good outings, which is an improvement, but still not verygood.  He'll show you 3 or 4 very sharp innings -- followed by, preceded by, or sandwiched between 2 or 3 awful innings.  So who knows.... Wandy has failed to impress so far.  He hasn't pitched that bad, but just hasn't  pitched particularly well.  He's pitched about as well as Kevin Correia, but the latter seems to end up finding ways to win while Wandy pitches just poorly enough to lose.
  4. Cash Money Maker -- Am I able to sell some of my tickets and recover a percentage of the initial cost of the season tickets?  Most definitely.  This has become a popular ticket this summer and I can easily move all my weekend games for more than I paid -- but less than face value.  So far, I've had plenty of friends who want them, and a few that went to craigslist.  All have enjoyed Section 107 Row R.  I've been selling them for less than regular ticket price, but more than I paid for the season ticket price, so it's a deal for both parties.  I just completed an email transfer to Paige for Sunday afternoon's game against the Padres, which was very easy to do.  
  5. The Esseys just posted this picture from my seats tonight!
  6. Muhfuckin' Dippin' Dots -- What about the "Bobblehead Factor?"  Since PNC Park opened a decade ago the "Pirate experience" has been all about the side shows, the promotions, the fireworks, and beauty of the ballpark -- not about competitive professional sports.  I do see some of that changing.  Sure, people still go crazy for Bucco Plinko and constantly flow up and down the aisles to go get more hot dogs to stuff in their fat faces -- and that's fine.  I still want moms, children, and grandparents to  be able to go to the games.  I don't want an NFL atmosphere at all.  But I do see more of a focus on the game from most fans.  I see a lot more Pirate flags -- the big ones -- waving in the infield box seats after homeruns.  I see a lot more kids carrying homemade signs than I used to.  That's an important difference -- it shows that the kids are into the winning, into the players, enjoying the Zoltan symbol. 
This was easy
The real outstanding question, though is this -- was the bar set too high by the Pirates success in June and July?  Are too many people thinking playoffs or bust at this point?  There are so many questions.  They're the same questions that plagued me in May and June when I was deciding whether or not to buy the tickets.  A 4 or 5 game losing streak can take you out of a playoff spot in a hurry.  Would people stop wanting my tickets if that happened?  Would I want to stop going to the games?  How far would they have to fall before my interest starts to drift?  There are a lot of things going on around the Burgh in August and September.  Will the Pirates continue to be one of them?

They could start by getting a freaking hit tonight, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment