Sunday, September 15, 2013

Eight Straight?

Today I embark on an eight day journey -- the conclusion of a lifelong dream, an ambition of adulthood coming to full fruition. I plan to attend all 8 of the Pirates remaining regular season games, officially concluding my Summer as a season ticket holder (baby!) for a winning baseball team. I set this goal for myself (to become a season ticket holder, baby, for a winning baseball team) in adolescence, and it represents the first time in my life that I set an actual adult goal for myself. Interestingly, I couldn't reach it on my own -- because the team involved has to hold up their end of the deal, the winning part. Since I've spent all of my adult life in Pittsburgh, I've actually never had the opportunity to even consider this goal until now (or until last season, when they got close, and I did get season tickets (baby!) as well). So, although it took until my 35th year to accomplish, I actually achieved the goal at the very first opportunity I had -- the first winning baseball season in Pittsburgh since 1992. It's not earth shattering, but still interesting, to conclude, then, that my adult life has been, far and away, much more successful than the Pittsburgh Pirates Major League Baseball franchise. Of course almost anyone under the age of 40 can make that claim, but still, great job, Joe. Way to be. Frightfully bully. #LGB

No comments:

Post a Comment