Friday, August 30, 2013

So Far, So Good

Even though the Pirates entered last September playing meaningful baseball games, within striking distance of a playoff spot, this year feels entirely different. For one thing, I've become reluctant to sell my tickets. I paid about double for the tickets this year as I did last year, but it hasn't bothered me a bit. Last year, as they collapsed and fell out of contention, I didn't care financially because I had already sold so many and made back two thirds of my initial cost. So I could skip games and not worry about it. I could just say fuck it when they played like garbage over the final 6 weeks.
My spot. Section 107, Row C, Seats 13 & 14

This year I don't really feel like selling any. I want to go to almost every game. Wednesday, it rained all day, and I easily could have skipped, but decided with a friend to go at the last minute. I wanted to see Marlon Byrd's first game. And what did he do? He hit a three run homerun! 

Thursday -- a beautiful night -- I took another friend and we had a great time. Friday, free shirt Friday, I went with a third friend, and we saw a shut out of the first place Cardinals. I have tomorrow's SkyBlast tickets to sell, and someone just texted me after the game to buy them. 120$ in the pocket. And Sunday I will probably go again.

I don't really have anything to say! I haven't posted in awhile because things have gone smoothly. Sure, the Pirates have only played about .500 since the beginning of July, but they still have a share of first place, a strong hold on a playoff spot, and a fantastic home winning percentage.

Free Shirt Friday!
I have great season ticket neighbors to the left of me on the aisle seats. I have the third and fourth seats in from the aisle, in Row C, Section 107 -- near first base. And an older couple, Steve and Sarah, has the full season ticket package for the two seats to the left. So we instantly became pals. They showed me the secret tunnel exit that leads out to the RF entrance, so I don't have to walk back up the crowded stairs to the concourse after the game. Phenomenal. 

Since young adulthood I've aspired to become a season ticket holder (baby) for a winning baseball team. I've done my part so far. The rest remains up to the Bucs. Also, since childhood, I've always wanted to have a place that I could walk into and order "my usual." Back then I always imagined a diner, but these days a bar seems apropos. I go to this place around the corner from my apartment called Lot 17, and I've become friendly with one of the bartenders, Pat. So the other day, I walked over and wanted to sit outside on the patio. I could see Pat through the window, so I just gave him a wave and sat down, hoping he would bring a beer out for me. A moment after sitting down, I hear him call, You want a Magic Hat and a menu, Joe? I have truly become an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment