Saturday, February 9, 2013

Reconsidering Season Tickets Again Next Year

Down the stretch last season I swore off investing in the season tickets again next year -- because the final third of the season was just so miserable. So many of the games I went to were awful, just miserable baseball games, stacking up losses, giving up tons of runs, diminishing crowds. But. Then I remembered my bottom line. I originally spent 937$ for 2 tickets to about 40 games, lower level, near first base. Very good seats at 12$ a ticket -- 50% off the regular price for those seats. Then I sold a third of my games -- just a third -- and made back $627. So, for selling a third of my tickets, I made back two thirds of my cost. I ended up spending about 300 bucks for 25 games worth of tickets. It brought my total cost down to 6 dollars a ticket -- for what normally costs 24$ + fees.

So I'm facing the same decision as I was last year.. If they are hovering at or above .500 for most of the season, with a chance of contending going into August/September, I do want to be there. The question is this, though. Will I still have an easy time selling my tickets if they don't perform as well in the first half of the season? Should I wait again until June or July to see how things play out? I'd love to replicate the same experience -- invest about $1000, sell a bunch of games, and make back a big chunk of my money. The point being this. If you were going to buy these tickets at face value, and go to 5 games, just 5, for 2 tickets it would cost you $250 (or more with fees). I only ended up spending $300 for about 25 games. So why not? 

The only reason not to is if I'm worried that I won't be able to sell the tickets as easily this year. But here's the thing. The fireworks and other special event games are always sold out, and I will always be able to sell them. Labor Day and July 4th games will be easy to sell no matter what.

I guess the other reason not to buy before the season starts is if there is a strong possibility that they will suck. If they're in 4th place all year, I don't want to go to any games. Maybe one. But that's my whole thing. I absolutely want to go to as many games as possible if they are contending -- but if they suck again, I have zero interest at all. Absolutely none.

The smart thing to do of course would be to wait until halfway again like last year. But if I buy early I can get a better choice of seats. And I can start selling them earlier than last year. Plus I'll have opening day tickets as well. And I'll just get to enjoy all the benefits of being a season ticket holder all year, which is nice -- if, IF, I'm going to go -- IF they don't suck! Jeez I am going in circles again just like last year! You can see why this is a tough call -- it's the freaking Pirates.

EDIT: I now just realized they have raised prices significantly. I guess that means I would have to ask for more when selling them, but there is not the same 50% deal for the Outfield Box seats that I got last year. Last year they were 24 at regular price. They cost 12 for the full season plan -- the only ticket level that was offered at 50% off. This year they are 28 regular price for normal games and even more, 33 bucks, for premium games (which are every Saturday). With the discount they are 22 and 26. That sucks!!! Last year, this tickets cost 24 for FULL PRICE. This year, the premium Saturday games cost 26 WITH the discount. In other words they cost more this year after the season ticket price discount than they did last year at REGULAR cost. That's insane. I mean, if they spend more on players and development, that's fine, I'm ok with that, so we'll see. We'll see.

So, on one hand that makes me want to buy them less. But on the other hand, given that the price has gone UP, it kind of makes MORE sense to buy season tickets -- so I don't end up paying regular price for a dozen games and spending way too much.  Aye yay yay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment